The syndicate is the executive body of the University and exercises general supervision over the affairs and management of the University. The Syndicate has the powers to:
- To consider the annual report, the annual and revised budget estimates.
- To transfer and accept transfer of movable property on behalf of the University.
- To enter into, modify, carry out and cancel contracts on behalf of the University.
- To cause proper books of account to be kept for all sums of money received and expended
by the University and for the assets and liabilities of the University.
- To invest any money belonging to the University including any unapplied income in
any of the securities described in section 20 of the trusts Act,1882 (Act 2 of 1882),
or in the purchase of immovable property or in such other manner, as it may prescribe,
with the like power of varying such investments.
- To receive and manage any property transferred, and grants, bequests, trust, gifts,
donations, endowments, and other contributions made to the University.
- To administer any funds placed at the disposal of the University for specified purposes.
- To provide the buildings, libraries, premises, furniture, apparatus, equipment and
other means required for carrying out the work of the University.
- To establish and maintain halls of residence and hostels or approve or license hostels
or lodgings for the residence of students.
- To recommend to the Senate affiliation or disaffiliation of colleges.
- To recommend to the Senate admission or educational privileges of the University
and withdraw such privileges.
- To arrange for the inspection of affiliatedcolleges and the departments.
- To institute professorships, Associate Professorships, Assistant Professorships,
lectureships, and other teaching Posts or to suspend or to abolish such posts.
- To create, suspend or abolish such administrative or other posts as may be necessary.
- To prescribe the duties of officers, teachers and other employees of the University.
- To appoint members to various Authorities in accordance with the provisions of the
- To regulate the conduct and discipline of the students of the University.
- To take actions necessary for the good administration of the university in general
and to this end exercise such powers as are necessary.
- To delegate any of its powers to any Authority or officer or a committee.
- To perform such other functions as assigned to it by the provisions of the amendment
Ordinance or may be assigned to it by the Statutes.